Sunday 19 July 2015

Song Of The Sea


SONG OF THE SEA

Director : Tomm Moore
Year : 2015
Genre : Animation
Rating : ****1/2


 Song of the Sea (2014 film) poster.jpg


Upon finishing 'Song Of The Sea' a few days ago, I realised that I faced a perplexing conundrum come December. I always endeavor, if I can help it, to have a bit of genre variety in my top 10 movies of the year lists and while some repetition is bound to occur due to personal taste, 2015 is causing me to buck my own trend. 

Anyone who read my annual mid-year summary that I posted at the beginning of this month will know that I have not one but two Academy Award nominated animations in my countdown and that, despite my best efforts, I couldn't find the iciest realms of my heart to exclude either the terrific Disney adventure 'Big Hero 6' or Isao Takahata's hypnotic anime masterpiece 'The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya'. Now, a third wondrous film has fought it's way onto my list, the beautiful and quite majestic fantasy 'Song Of The Sea' and while I may try and avoid genre recurrences in my top 10's, I am simply overjoyed to have seen all three of these brilliant works of art within the space of seven months.

Much like director Tomm Moore's previous Oscar nominated picture 'The Secret Of Kells' which similarly took inspiration from the legends of both Irish and Gaelic mythology, 'Song Of The Sea' tells the delightful story of two young siblings Ben and Saoirse who, after being separated from their grieving father by their strict but well-meaning grandmother, go on a perilous journey across the fields and mountains of Ireland to re-unite with their beloved Dad. However things take a very strange turn when owls, witches and all manner of bizarre faeries and spirits cross their path and it becomes clear to the naive Ben that his little sisters destiny may be intrinsically linked to the existence of the mysterious creatures that share their world. 


 http://i.ytimg.com/vi/3YX2TjhS2bg/maxresdefault.jpg


Telling a story that seems to transcend time, place and culture, 'Song Of The Sea' has a narrative that recalls the most beloved childhood fairytales of old and while it may in fact be an original vision from writer Will Collins, the film has a nostalgic, almost timeless quality that is quite spellbounding. It is story that is undoubtedly melancholic and pensive but has enough magic and mystery to enchant and capture both the imagination and the heart in equal measure. Reflecting this shimmering fable is an isometric, 2D animation style that is all at once reminiscent of the greatest Studio Ghibli works, the distinct and unmistakable artistry of Sylvain Chomet's surreal opus 'Les Triplettes De Bellevilles' and even the Technicolor wonder of the video game masterpiece 'The Legend Of Zelda : The Wind Waker'. Along with the aforementioned 'The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya', 'Song Of The Sea' is one of the most amazing and unforgettable animations I have ever had the pleasure of seeing.

With a wonderful story sure to enchant both children and adults alike, a drawing style that is completely unique and rich in the folklore of these fascinating isles, 'Song Of The Sea' is the perfect family adventure that hearkens back to the golden days of cartoon entertainment - when money, voice stars and pointless cultural references weren't even considered and telling an honest and indelible story was the main and only goal. With 'Big Hero 6', 'The Tale Of The Princess Kaguya' and 'Song Of The Sea' all released this year, could 2015 be the best year in animation?


No comments:

Post a Comment