Friday 5 April 2013

RIP Roger, I'll See You At The Movies

R.I.P ROGER, I'LL SEE YOU AT THE MOVIES








Yesterday, I was greatly saddened to hear about the death of one of my heroes; beloved film critic Roger Ebert whose criticism and love for film was infectious and influential to millions across the world. When my obsession with film began about 12 years ago, both he and Gene Siskel were the oracles of movie criticism and with a mixture of scathing reviews, a fraught tension and engrossing entertainment, Siskel & Ebert would become American and film icons. When Gene Siskel died 1999, I remember being very sad. But now that Ebert has sadly passed, I feel that a part of my adolescence has disappeared and that film criticism will never be the same again. This tribute will not be an obituary to Ebert, but will be my true thoughts on why Roger Ebert was the best critic in the world and how his death has affected me, because I'll be honest, I'm pretty shaken.

Never happier to see a good movie and never angrier when seeing a bad movie, Ebert's love and devotion to the movies was extremely endearing and reading his reviews and watching his shows really was a cathartic experience for me. Both Siskel and Ebert conveyed their obsession in a controlled but palpable way and it was their different tastes and attittudes that made their relationship so interesting. When watching Siskel and Ebert, you got the feeling that they were 2 friends just talking about the movies of the week. Rather than the formal and rehearsed criticism that we are used to in the UK, their criticism seemed much more off the cuff and improvised. Because of this, arguments would break out frequently between them and some of their scuffles are some of the most memorable TV that I ever watched as a teenager. Resorting to personal insults and cheap digs, Gene and Roger turned from critics into children in a playground fighting over a toy car; not because they hated each other, but because they cared so much about the movie and how they truly felt about it. It was their honesty and devotion to their jobs that made the prospects of becoming a film critic so appealing to me and because of them and only because of them, I am now doing this.

To me, the greatest thing about Roger Ebert was that he wouldn't wane to public opinion. It didn't matter whether a movie was a classic or cult movie, grindhouse or animated movie, he would always give a film a chance. Not afraid to give a scathing review to a popular movie or a glittering review to an unpopular movie, Ebert would truly believe that his opinion was right. This was often make his views unpopular and I for one, didn't always agree with him. But nevertheless, his enthusiasm was palpable and as a result, I have watched movies I never thought I would just because Roger Ebert liked it.

When Roger lost his voice due to throat cancer in 2006, I was worried that he would quit his job as a film critic. But he persevered and continued to write over 200 reviews a year for the Chicago Sun Times. 2 days before his death, Ebert posted his final blog on the newspapers website saying;
''At this point in my life, in addition to writing about movies, I may write about what it's like to cope with health challenges and the limitations they can force upon you. It really stinks that the cancer has returned and that I have spent too many days in the hospital. So on bad days I may write about the vulnerability that accompanies illness. On good days, I may wax ecstatic about a movie so good it transports me beyond illness.''.

Despite seeming optimistic and hopeful as ever, it was not to be and Roger Ebert quietly passed away on his way to a cancer hospice. The disease that silenced the greatest voice in movie criticism has now claimed his life. A legend is gone and I don't think there is a film critic in the world who is not deeply upset at this tragic news. His thumbs could either make or break a career and a positive review from Roger Ebert was the only review a filmmaker would want. To me as a critic, Ebert was the voice of the movies; an obsessive who turned his passion into a career and a larger than life icon who made the movies important to me and the world. Thank you for everything Roger, you will be deeply missed.
Sadly, the balcony is closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment