Thursday 11 October 2012

My Favourite Movies of 2012.....So Far



MY FAVOURITE MOVIES OF 2012 .... SO FAR



 http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/38/AwardNeckRibbonAndMedal_wb.jpg



2012 is really turning out to be one of the best years for movies since 2007, and I have seen many movies that I have loved. There are 2 months left of 2012, but here's my 5 favourite movies so far.

5) ParaNorman -
This movie was a fantastic surprise to me. It is funny, touching and has enough classic horror movie references to keep fans happy. It is not afraid to be quirky and strange like 'Coraline' from 2009, but has a more warm feeling towards its audience, and is a perfect Halloween classic for kids and adults alike.


4) Marvel's Avengers Assemble -

After nearly half a decade of waiting, Joss Whedon delivered everything I wanted in a big superhero ensemble movie. The scenes of robots remind me a bit too much of 'Transformers : Dark Of The Moon', but the movie is really saved by fantastic performances from Downey Jr., Ruffalo and Jackson. Highly entertaining, thrilling and sometimes hilarious, 'Avengers' is everything that is good about mainstream blockbuster cinema.


3) Prometheus -

Ridley Scott returns to the genre that he reinvented in the 70's with 'Alien' to create one of the most intelligent science fiction movies since 'Moon'. Michael Fassbender is sure to get an oscar tip for supporting actor, and hopefully Scott will get a best director nod. The fact that many people were disappointed by Scott not making an 'Alien' prequel is baffling to me, but to me, 'Prometheus' is Scotts best film since 'Gladiator' and I hope to see at least a directors cut before too long.


2) A Berberian Sound Studio -

Toby Jones delivers his best performance to date in this extraordinary movie about obsession, psychosis and fear. Anyone who loves Giallo cinema such as the movies of Dario Argento and Lamberto Bava will adore 'A Berberian Sound Studio'. Comparative to the work of Cronenberg and Lynch, this movie is a masterpiece of visuals and sounds.


1) Marley -

My favourite movie of 2012 so far, without any doubt is 'Marley', a fantastic documentary about the life of one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. It doesn't just explore the music and the life of Bob Marley, but also Jamaican culture, Reggae music and politics.  It my favourite documentary since my favourite movie of 2011, 'Senna', and I cannot imagine that I will see anything that will impress me as much in 2012.


That is my top 5 so far, but there still a lot of movies to be released in the final curtain of 2012. 
These movies may take the place of one of my top 5, but we'll have to see in January 2013....

No comments:

Post a Comment